[sorry for the extremely long post without pictures]
It has been one month since I've been completely gluten free. So now it is time that I educate my friends and dear readers about my new lifestyle.
Over a year ago, I noticed that I was getting VERY ill after every meal, especially when eating out. It got to the point where it was unbearable nausea that was disrupting my life (I know that just sounded like a drug commercial ha!) and I couldn't stop vomiting. So the doctors removed my gallbladder (and other various organs) hoping that would help. It actually got worse during recovery. About a month ago, after being sick for an entire year with nausea and vomiting, and random rashes that I started developing on my arms since the surgery, I became so sick at work and had to see the surgeon again.
That's when we found out I've had celiac disease all along! In case you aren't familiar with celiac, it is a digestive disease that damages the small intestine and interferes with absorption of nutrients from food. My body cannot tolerate anything with GLUTEN in it: wheat, barley, rye. Basically it's a "wheat allergy". And gluten is a protein found in these wondrous foods! (Often its in lipstick, medicines, and vitamins too).
Never again can I ever eat gluten. I can never have real pasta, or real bread, or .....REAL CUPCAKES! But guys, I feel AMAZING. I have not felt better in this past year...not once! My body is back to normal (besides the random incidences of "cross-contamination"...thats for another day) and my husband actually likes me now! I am adjusting to cooking solely gluten free and I'm loving it! Yes it's hard that I've lost 12 pounds since the end of summer and none of my clothes fit, and its hard to curb my carb-filled cravings and it's a bummer having to read EVERY label at the grocery store and every ingredient of anything I ever eat, but I have not even been tempted ONCE to eat those yuuuummmy foods because I know how amazing I'm feeling, and I know how ick I will feel if I touch anything with gluten. I feel SO good these days. SO GOOD!
There are some substitutes for pasta...like pasta made with quinoa or brown rice, and bread made from soy flour and tapioca flour since I'm flour-free, but to be honest I've had SO many experiences already buying "substitute bread" or "substitute cereal" that taste like cardboard! agh! no joke! so what CAN I eat? I gorge myself with fruits and vegetables, 100% meat (nothing processed), corn tortillas, lots of cheese, and you know, other stuff made especially for GF people!
So don't get offended if you invite me over for dinner or want to go out to eat and I can't eat with you! I'd still be more than glad to come and be social. Food is my medicine. And it is a whole new lifestyle change for me, but I'm working on it! And I couldn't ask for a better husband who loves me SO much and is so supportive and encourages me to be healthy and eat healthy!
(And by the way, if anyone ever wants me to cook gluten free for them or teach them, it truly is amazing, a new experience! Britni & Nelee, I'm cooking a GF meal for you this Sunday!)
10 comments:
Gluten-free Heather! Welcome to healthy living :) I never got my friend, Jetta, to call. I'm so sorry. I'm glad that you found out what it was that was bothering your poor stomach for so long. :)
I know a girl whose son has the same problem! It's good you found out what the problem was! I want to lose 12 pounds! :) Hope you have a great week!
And to think that every time you said, "mom, I feel so sick"... I almost always responded with, "try eating some crackers".
Oh... and cute clock, but it's one hour off! ;)
Heather, I had no idea. I am so happy to read that you are well and feeling good. Question, is tapioca flour the same as tapioca beads for making the pudding? I just LOVE tapioca, that's all I ate after I had Porter.
Orlan's sisters, mom and grandma have Celiac. I'm going to have Treysen tested when he turns two. I'm kinda getting used to cooking gluten free stuff, because when we eat with them they can't have it. That's awesome that you found out and you're feeling better!
haha...remember that time you were incredibly sick and back and forth to the hospital for tests and I brought you COOKIES to feel better! That was a good one! Hopefully the movies helped some, though. And I'm hoping you still have those movies too! :o)
I need to lose 12 pounds...but I'd rather not do it through throwing up all my food all the time. I'm going to be such a miserable pregnant person because I just can't STAND to throw up. Poor Rand!
Glad you are feeling better. We'll have to have you guys over for some gluten free eating. Seriously, let's not go another year living next door to each other and not getting together!
can i go GF for a few months after baby to lose weight or is it not suggested as a diet plan?! let me know! :)
I am just so glad you are feeling GOOD again! One of my friends is still trying to find good recipes, so I would love some from you when you have a few minutes.
Too bad you had to remove body parts to get here...
Hi!!! I am so glad that you are feeling better now. It was awful to see you so sick. I am just grateful that they could finally figure out what was causing to be so ill. I am sure it's hard, but it is worth it and after awhile, you won't miss any of that stuff at all. You are wonderful!!! Take care :)
Post a Comment