11.24.2008

my thanksgiving feast.

I am strictly a gluten-free girl, but I LOVE thanksgiving and all its yummy foods. So what shall I do on this gluten-stuffed day since I can't indulge in gravy, stuffing, rolls, and pies without feeling like my stomach exploded? I think I will make a few of my own favs! ... and I will share the recipes with you in case you feel the strange urge to unnecessarily celebrate your thanksgiving gluten free [*Aiona: i'm posting these for you girl, just kidding haha...but really*].

My mom sent me this recipe -- cannot WAIT to try it--

Cornbread Stuffing

6-7 cups gluten-free cornbread, cut into
     ½-inch cubes
4 links gluten-free sausage (pork, 
    turkey, chicken), pierced with a fork
    and simmered in hot water for ten 
    minutes
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2-3 carrots, peeled and diced
3 stalks celery, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 apple, peeled and diced
2 (14-ounce) cans gluten-free chicken broth
Salt and pepper, to taste

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 9x13-inch pan.
  2. Spread cornbread cubes on a baking sheet and toast in oven for about 10 minutes or until edges are dry.
  3. Rinse sausage in cold water. Remove skin and crumble sausage. Reserve.
  4. Heat olive oil in pan and sauté onion, carrots and celery for 2 to 3 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
  5. Add garlic, apple pieces and crumbled sausage and sauté another 2 minutes or until apples are soft.
  6. Add toasted cornbread cubes and toss to coat with mixture.
  7. Pour broth over mixture. Add seasonings as desired.
  8. Pack stuffing loosely into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes. If top gets too brown, cover lightly with foil. This dressing can also be stuffed loosely into a 12- to 14-pound turkey. Follow baking times that come with the turkey.
And then for DESSERT :) these are my FAVORITES (thanks to Karina's Kitchen) mmm:

Maui Wowee Bars

Warm from the oven these bars are soft and fall-apart tender melt-in-your-mouth gooey goodness. Cut, wrapped and chilled, they become slightly chewy on the inside, moist and fabulous. Kinda like a blondiemeets an Almond Joy bar.

Mix in a mixing bowl by hand, with a wooden spoon, until moistened::

1 1/3 cup Pamela's Ultimate Baking & Pancake Mix*
1/2 heaping cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 heaping cup golden brown sugar
2 large free-range organic eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use light olive oil or grapeseed oil)
2 teaspoons good vanilla extract

Add in::

1/2 heaping cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 heaping cup white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (if you live above 5,000 feet, set your oven temp to 375 degrees F).

Using a rubber or silicone spatula, spread the batter evenly into a lightly oiled 8x8-inch baking pan. Add extra chips to the top and lightly press into the batter.

Bake on a center rack until the bars are set and golden brown - about 21 to 25 minutes, depending upon your oven and altitude - and do not over-bake. Allow the bars to cool on a wire rack before cutting.


Makes nine delectable bars.

3 comments:

Spence & Aiona said...

You are so stinking cute! I am really going to try these recipes! And I will see if I can find some yummy recipes and I will share too! Thanks Heather for possibly saving me! ;)

The Lunds said...

Thanks for posting these recipes! My mother-in-law wants to try them for Thanksgiving since pretty much everyone in Orlan's family has celiac.

Nelee said...

We missed you at Thanksgiving! I can't wait until you live here and then we won't miss you anymore :) I hope your yummy gluten-free recipes turned out.